- Feature Links
- About Peachtree City
Traces of Native American occupation and the prior communities of Aberdeen and Clover remain within Peachtree City. The State of Georgia has officially recognized two specific historic locations and regulates all the abandoned and active cemeteries. Three abandoned cemeteries are now owned by the Fayette County Historical Society and other local historic sites have been noted by the Society for their significance. Peachtree City will respectfully preserve and maintain all City-owned abandoned cemeteries and other identified historic sites as undeveloped greenbelt areas.
Private or County Owned:
- Bethlehem Baptist
- Holly Grove African Methodist Episcopal
- Line Creek Baptist
- Old Flat Creek
- Regency Square
- Saint Andrews in the Pines
Organized in 1867 as the Bethel Baptist Church, the church site was obtained in 1878 and the first church was built in 1878 in the former community of Clover on Dividend Drive. The present name was adopted in 1914. The church-owned active cemetery land was purchased in 1904 and has over 100 graves. Historic designation marker was placed in 2005.
Organized in 1897, this church provided worship services and operated a school for the community's black children from grades 1 through 7 until 1954. The site was annexed into Peachtree City in 1987. The church-owned cemetery contains over 220 graves. Historic designation marker placed in 1999.
Organized in 1869, this church was moved in 2004 to make way for commercial development. The church-owned cemetery is still there behind Best Buy, with many stones engraved with area families' ancestors.
This Fayette Historical Society-owned inactive cemetery contains ten marked and unmarked graves of the Jones and Leach Family, including two veterans. The Jones were among the first pioneer settlers in Fayette County. The cemetery is located in the Stoney Brook Plantation neighborhood on Smokey Way.
This privately owned inactive cemetery lot is located within the greenspace on Regency Square.
This church-owned active cemetery consists of over 40 internments. The cemetery can be assessed by parking at the church off Stevens Entry.
- Speer Family
- Swanson Family
- Tinsley Mill
- Westminster Memorial Gardens
- Whitlock Memorial
- Wilks Grove Baptist
This Fayette County Historical Society-owned inactive cemetery consists of ten Speer family members. The cemetery can be assessed by street parking on Charon Way in the Jennings Yard neighborhood.
This private property inactive cemetery consists of grave markers for the Swanson family members. It is located in the Stoney Brook Plantation neighborhood off the South side of Haddington Lane within a fenced area in the thicket.
George Washington Ware bought a mill site along Flat Creek in 1823 for $300. Throughout the years, the mill had been called Ware’s Mill, Greer’s Mill, Russell’s Mill, Leech’s Mill, and Tinsley’s Mill. In the 1870 census, it was known as Leach’s Mill, ground corn only, and was owned by E. W. Leach. The mill was in what is now Peachtree City and near what today is the 12th green of the Flat Creek Golf Course. The mill was powered by Flat Creek, had a horsepower of 40, and could grind 40 bushels daily. It employed one person with wages of $200.00 per year. The mill was originally built by George Ware. He also owned a woolen mill across the creek that produced socks. There was also a cotton gin and a government-licensed distillery that produced peach brandy. In 1910 Mr. Leach sold the mill to the Russel Brothers, Charles, Frank, Will, and Bo. They rebuilt the mill which had been allowed to the rundown, “Doc” Tinsley bought the mill in 1936. The dam washed out later in 1936 and the mill was operated by gasoline-powered motors until 1960 when Tinsley sold the property to Phillips-Harrington Land Company. The mill later burned down in 1989. The foundations are still visible on privately owned land.
The privately owned active Westminster Memorial Gardens located on State Route 54 East contains over 4,200 internments and a Veteran’s memorial.
This privately-owned active cemetery began in 1869 and contains over 100 marked and unmarked early family graves including Huddleston, Pollard, Stinchcomb, and Whitlock. Park at the Aberdeen plaza and follow the path across Northlake Drive to the West. The cemetery will be on the immediate right.
This church-owned active cemetery consists of over 50 internments. The cemetery can be assessed by parking at the church on Wilks Grove Church Road off Senoia Road.
Peachtree City Owned:
- Brown Family
- Chandler Family
- Civil War Era
- Leach Family
- Native American Archeological
This private active cemetery located off Dividend Drive contains over 70 members of the Brown family and the Huddleston family, both early settlers to Fayette County. Many area landmarks are named after these families. Benjamin Brown served as a Private in North Carolina Militia during the Revolutionary War. There are also other veterans’ graves present.
This greenbelt lot inactive cemetery owned by Peachtree City consists of four marked and one unmarked family graves including two veterans. The cemetery is located in the Centennial neighborhood on the right side of Constitution Circle in the thicket of trees.
This greenbelt lot inactive cemetery owned by Peachtree City consists of a single marker and around thirty unmarked family graves. The cemetery is located behind the Twiggs Corner neighborhood and south of the intersection of State Route 54 and State Route 74 in the thicket of trees.
This greenbelt lot inactive cemetery owned by Peachtree City consists of around six unmarked slave graves. A sign titled "Civil War Era Cemetery" is at the cemetery entrance on Vermillion Lane.
This greenbelt lot inactive cemetery owned by Peachtree City contains five grave markers of the Denham and Leach families. It is located at the front of the Blueberry Hill neighborhood and is visible from the East side of State Route 74.
This greenbelt lot inactive cemetery owned by Peachtree City contains three grave markers of the Loyd and Ellison families. It is located in the Stoney Brook Plantation neighborhood near the intersection of Ashley Way and Hidden Springs Street.
Two Line Creek sites, 9Fy36 and 9Fy37, contained artifacts identified from the Early (8000-6000 B.C.), Middle (6000-3000 B.C.), Late Archaic (3000-800 B.C.) and Woodland (800 B.C.-A.D. 900) historic periods. The excavations were required by the Federal Aviation Administration as a mitigation effort prior to their destruction during the expansion of Peachtree City's Falcon Field Airport. The Falcon Field site yielded the earliest radiocarbon-14 date to 2220 B.C. for soapstone vessels that have been obtained in the Southeast. An early petrograph carving of the sun originally at the Line Creek Nature Area is now on display in the Peachtree City Library. Indian Trail marker trees have also been identified in the greenbelts. Other early habitation sites are likely to present along Line Creek and Flat Creek.
This inactive cemetery owned by Peachtree City is located within a fenced area in front of the Leach Fire Station and training facility on Paschal Road.
This greenbelt lot inactive cemetery owned by Peachtree City contains George Washington Ware, one of Fayette County’s original settlers and a veteran of the Indian Wars. The cemetery is located in the greenbelt thicket between two homes on Pine Circle.
This greenbelt lot inactive cemetery owned by Peachtree City contains John Routon, a Private in the Virginia Militia during the Revolutionary War. It is accessed from Vardon Way off Robinson Road.
This greenbelt lot inactive cemetery owned by Peachtree City consists of five Stinchcomb family members including original land lot grantee Nathanal and his wife Susannah Stinchcomb. It is visible on the south side of Highway 54 in Peachtree City high on the bank along the multi-use path near Waterwood Bend.
Alexander Ware had a store and mill built by 1824 at which local settlers and Indians assembled on Line Creek, ½ mile below the present State Highway 54. The abutments of this mill dam and another dam built in 1820 are still standing on both sides of Line Creek in the Line Creek Nature Area.
Do you know of a cemetery in Peachtree City that is not listed above or do you have additional information about a cemetery already listed? Please email the location's name, address or directions, and a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org, to have the cemetery added to this listing.